Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Infinity Nomad Spektrs Hacker

Hello everyone,

I hope all is well. So on to my next adventure with miniature painting. This next round is a Nomad Spektrs Hacker.

The Spektrs Hacker is part of the Nomad faction of Infinity the Game. She is part of the mid-release range of miniatures from Corvus Belli. At this time, they really stepped up their quality of sculpts. Compared to older miniatures in the Nomad range, the strength of their changes are really visible. I think the sculpt is spot on and really captures a moment in time, which is something Infinity is quite good at. It was a real pleasure to paint her and I look forward to painting more Nomads in the future.

This time around I decided to go with the studio colors: Orange, White, and Grey Brown. I did change a few things that I felt were out of place. I made some of the armor pieces white instead of brown, and went with a richer brown tone instead of the grey-brown of the studio colors. As before I used a Dragon Forge base. I did not use weather pigments this time because I wanted to create the look of her being inside a enemy star ship trying to hack into a door. In my opinion, probably not too much dust and dirt on a star ship, and the Nomad nation is on three very large star ships.

Just a side note - this mini came with a clear plastic sheet that had round, futuristic hacking screens of various sizes. I believe this came with all the mid-release hacker minis of each faction, but I don't think they are in the newer releases. I'm not quite sure though, so don't quote me on that. The print on the sheet was very dull and they were a pain to cut out. I did try cut one out and paint it up with brighter, "computerized-looking" colors but when I placed it on the mini it still looked pretty crappy so I decided to skip it.

Here are some of the colors that I used. Again I used Vallejo Model Colors.

Orange Parts,
Base: Calvary Brown + Orange Brown
Highlight 1: Orange Brown
Highlight 2: Sunny Skin Tone
Highlight 3: White
Shadow: Calvary Brown + Hull Red

White Parts,
Base: Pale Blue + Dark Blue Grey
Highlight 1: Pale Blue
Highlight 2: White
Shadow: Dark Blue Grey
Tones: Blue Green

Weapon,
Base: Black + Turquoise
Highlight 1: Sunny Skin Tone
Highlight 2: White
Shadow: Black

Brown Parts,
Base: Basalt Grey + German Camo Beige
Highlight 1: Deck Tan
Highlight 2: Ivory
Shadow: Basalt Grey + Chocolate Brown

The time it took me to paint the miniature was about 15 hours over 25 days. It took me a little more time to paint as my skills are improving and I wanted to do the mini justice.

At any rate here are the WIP pics and the Finished Pics

I hope you like,


 WIP 1

 WIP 2










And as always thanks for looking.

If you like what you see and are interested in a commission or if you have any questions about paint, techniques, or anything else regarding the Infinity Range, please leave a comment below or email at 


Thanks and happy painting,

Cullen 





3 comments:

  1. First off I have to say all of your paint jobs are amazing. I have been looking for inspiration for a paint scheme for my nomads and this is definitely it. Orange is my favorite color, but it's usually too bright to make the model look good. In this case I love how you mute the color with brown to make it not overpowering.

    I have two questions for you. First is what technique do you use for blending?

    Second is about when a model has a gun that goes across their chest. I notice that you wait to attach the arm/gun until after the torso is painted, which seems to be common practice. What do you do about any gaps between the shoulder and torso? Do you paint the arm first or do you pin/glue it into place, fill in the gap and then paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you comment. Very glad that you like the Nomad.

      The blending technique I use is the thin layered technique. You paint in very thin layers slowly build from on color to the next.

      First I Lightly glue with a very small drop just enough so the gun stays in place making sure everything fits then I prime the mini. I remove the gun. Paint everything that's on the gun that I could not paint before and the space on the mini that is covered by the gun. Then I glue the part back on. As for gaps luckily Infinity minis are very well made and you do not have worry about that. But if there is a gap I usually fill with green stuff before I prime adding a little glue to the main mini side so that when you remove the gun the green stuff sticks to the main mini and not the gun. Then when have painting everything you glue the gun back on hopefully with no gaps because the green stuff should now make it a perfect fit. I hope that answers you questions.

      Delete
  2. I Like you're spektr very much! How did you paint the red part off the base floor? And did you use the shadow-colors as last color? (Sorry for the bad english).

    ReplyDelete